Walnut Grove Secondary offers a rich variety of courses and believes that students should take advantage of the opportunity for a full, well rounded, educational experience. As such, in-school Study Blocks are a privilege reserved for senior students who have ample credits and challenging course loads.
Students in Grade 8-10 are expected to carry eight courses during the regular school day. Students will be able to apply for ONE Study Block in August after they have reviewed their timetable. Grade 11 students may apply to have one Study Block if they meet the criteria below. Grade 12 students may apply for one study block but must carry seven courses in addition to their Study Block during the school day. Some Grade 12 students may decide to request a second Study Block in January. Please see the timelines page for the dates of when second study blocks may be requested.
Taking an online course or taking an extended day course at WGSS does not qualify a student to have fewer courses during the regular school day.
Study Block Criteria
GRADE 12 STUDENTS
Grade 12 students are required to have a minimum of eight courses on their timetable. Students who request a Study Block must:
- Have successfully completed 68 credits by the end of their Grade 11 year
- Have completed the Grade 11 courses required for graduation, with the possible exception of the Socials 11/12 course
- Be enrolled in the courses required to graduate
- Have a heavy academic load
GRADE 11 STUDENTS
Grade 11 students are required to have a minimum of eight courses on their timetable. Students who request a Study Block must:
- Have successfully completed 40 credits by the end of their Grade 10 year
- Have completed the Grade 10 courses required for graduation
- Be enrolled in an extended day course ie. Choir or Band OR have a heavy academic load
- Only ONE Study Block per school year will be considered for approval
If students meet the above requirements, they may apply for a Study Block with permission from parent(s) and administration.
Expectations of Study Blocks
Students choosing to use the library during their Study Block are expected to:
- Use the library for quiet study, reading or computer/network access
- Respect library rules and procedures
One Study Block on Timetable in September
Students who qualify for a Study Block are only permitted to have one Study Block on their timetable when school starts in September. This can either be Semester 1 or a Linear Study Block which will be on Day 1 or Day 2.
Request for a Second Study Block
If a Grade 12 student meets all graduation requirements and would like to have a second Study Block, they may submit a request to be reviewed by administration in January of each year.
The FORM will be available in January on the Timeline section of the Course Guide website.